If there are special sneakers for running, walking or fitness, then the right shoes for rope jumping do exist. And it’s not only a marketing hook, that lies behind this tendency, but something more important for you as a customer – your health and safety.
So, to avoid injuries and feel super secure during your jumping rope workout, it is better to give preference to such sports shoes, which are designed to keep the shock load on feet and make your jumping exercises comfortable.
Below, there are ten recommended models for jumping with the rope, which were thoroughly investigated, tested, and reviewed by our team. Welcome to find your perfect sneaker in this gallery.
10 Best Shoes for Jumping Rope
1. Adidas Speed Trainer 2.0
These training shoes for jump rope are made of textile on the top and they have a rubber multi-surface traction outsole with flex grooves for the better traction control. The midsoles are made of EVA foam (ethyl vinyl acetate) and they have flex sections. The shoes are light and have padded tongues. They will give you the necessary balance and support, especially if your feet are a bit narrow.
- Light and cushy sole.
- Breathable mesh lining.
- An arch provides a sufficient control of your feet.
- Well and firmly built, suitable for heavy loads and intensive trainings.
- The feeling of comfort is guaranteed.
- The narrowness makes shoeing difficult. Not good for wide feet.
- Not sufficient air flowing inside, leading to sweating.
2. Inov-8 F-Lite 195 Cross-Training
The F-Lite 195 shoes, producing by Inov-8, are very good and quality footwear for rope jumping, as well as for other kinds of physical exercises. They fit both men and women. The top is synthetic and this material is much stronger than leather, providing the proper level of ventilation of the inner space of shoes. These are lightweight, flexible cross-training shoes with ropetec grips and injection, molding EVA midsole.
- Made of breathable and fast drying materials.
- Flexible and sticky enough rubber sole.
- High heel enhances the ground feel.
- Modern design and quality materials used.
- Possible multi-purpose use.
- Difficulties with the proper lacing. Round laces would be better.
3. ASICS Men’s GEL-Acclaim
These ASICS sneakers for jumping rope by are popular around the world due to their well-thought-out designs and comfort for exercises to satisfy multiple and even demanding needs. The top is made of synthetic leather and mesh, which make them light, firm, and breathable. The exclusive Rearfoot GEL Cushioning technology provides better impact absorption. Thanks to the great support to the feet and ankles, they fit for many activities, including jumping over the rope.
- Multi-usable without losing benefits.
- Thick rubber sole with cushioned footbed.
- AHAR outsole, delivering reliable traction and grip.
- High-quality materials used for comfort and durability.
- Heavy by appearance.
- Other models can guarantee more foot support.
4. New Balance Men’s MX1267
The man-made training shoes MX1267 by New Balance provide a perfect foot control, stability, and elasticity. The shoes feature both PROBANK and QUIX technologies for safe and comfortable multi-directional movements. Due to the stabilizing external heel counter, they protect well your heel and ankles. The top of synthetic mesh helps the feet breathing, but these shoes are a bit tight.
- Modern design.
- Great cushioning, support, and comfort.
- Non-marking outsole.
- Technology REV Lite of midsole.
- 8mm heel-to-toe drop.
- Synthetic sole.
- Some reports say that these shoes are quickly wearing out.
5. Nike Flyknits
The Nike Flyknit shoes for jump rope feature an outstanding design, innovative sole and good breathability. They are perfectly suitable for both aerobics and jumping over the rope. The shoes are normally lighter in weight than ordinary cross-training shoes, but nonetheless they guarantee the necessary support. The upper is designed to conform to your foot and feel like a sock. The upper material facilitates the air flow due to the perforted Flyknit panel that trails up towards your ankle and helps dissipating the heat. Padding absorbs well shocks when landing. When trying them, be sure that there is enough space under the feet balls.
- Very lightweight and comfortable.
- Flexible and breathable materials.
- Dynamic Flywire technology gives a greater mobility and reaction to the foot movements.
- Thin foam sole guarantees convenience and surface control.
- Rubber insertions in the sole for better traction.
- Passable stability.
- They can take water and therefore, they are hardly good for bad weather conditions.
6. Vibram Five Fingers
Vibram Five Fingers shoes were first designed for barefoot runners. However, the shoes are one of the most comfortable and versatile on the market for other sports. You can have a truly barefoot experience with enough protection on paved roads in these shoes. Having a bit shocking appearance, they are very light first of all. Their thin sole allows you to coordinate your jumps very precisely. Jumps in such shoes are quick, technical, and economical. Such shoes will assist you in strengthening your toes.
- Unusual running shoes for great sensations.
- Recommended for strengthening feet and toes.
- Lightweight and flexible nature.
- High stability of feet on uneven ground.
- Firm lacing.
- A bit higher price.
- Hygroscopic feature.
7. Reebok Men’s Crossfit Nano 5.0
Wearing Nano 5.0 is important in the case of exercises in which shoes play a very important role, for example for rope exercises with high and double jumps. These long-lasting sports shoes are for those people who want to find light, firm, and flexible shoes for workout sessions. Nano 5.0 have an infused DuPont Kevlar mesh upper with CMEV midsole and anatomical heel and footbed. They are designed to protect your feet from damage and to give you a good support. They have the mesh outer for the airflow and strength.
- Comfortable, wide, and safe for usage.
- The raised outsole lug patterns are for better floor contact and friction.
- RopePro carbon rubber protection.
- Great for lateral and rotational footwork related to training.
- Excellent durability. Fit not only for rope jumping and running, but for other sports activities.
- Difficulties in bending and shoeing.
- Most models are colored bright, which is unpleasant for many users.
8. Xero Shoes Prio
These Crossfit shoes have a rubber sole and a foot-first design which leaves enough space for the toes. They are designed for people doing light workouts on easy surfaces, as well as for proper posture while jumping, running, hiking, etc. They are ideal for doing on-the-spot exercises. They offer a firm and reliable control to protect the small bones of your feet and stabilize your ankles. Your knees and hips require this cushioning to reduce your risk of damage during constant jumping motions.
- Minimalist design let you feel your feet, and entire body easily adapts to their features.
- High quality of materials.
- Rubber sole, lightweight and flexible performances.
- Wide toe boxes let your toes spread and relax.
- The shoes keep your feet stable, especially during rigorous workout jumps.
- Materials on the upper part can make feet sweating.
- Small sized shoes.
9. Nike Men’s Air Monarch IV
The Nike Air Monarch IV training shoes are made for the athlete looking for great cushioning with a durable and supportive leather upper part. The shoes have a Phylon midsole and Flex grooves providing the natural flexibility with every step. The solid rubber outsole has aggressive traction patterns. These sports shoes have a combination of the best characteristics for jumping and running – longevity, balance, support, and extra padding. As typical running shoes, they demonstrate good features of protecting ankles and tendons.
- Wide enough for your toes and airing.
- Comfortable to wear. Excellent cushioning on the sole.
- Great arch support. Steady and good for foot protection.
- Flex grooves for enhanced flexibility for smooth and efficient movements.
- Materials used are of excellent quality and durability.
- Sometimes the shoes produce a squeaking sound.
- Bulky appearance.
10. Under Armour Apollo Speedform
These training shoes are good for both indoor and outdoor training. They have an innovative SpeedForm technology, delivering zero distraction while jumping and running. The perforated upper with ultrasonic seal insures a good breathability. Molded foam footbed conforms exactly to your foot and eliminates slippage. Both men and woman will appreciate their appealing design.
- Innovative UA SpeedForm technology for better use in sports.
- ArmourVent mesh upper gives a good breathability.
- Firm heel cup with silicone grip for an anatomical fit.
- TPU curve at midfoot for extra support and stability.
- Smooth, ultrasonic welded seams with Bemis tape for next-to-skin support & comfort.
- Anatomical outsole for natural fit and performance.
- Hard plastic spot on the instep of the shoes can rub your feet.
- The new version of the Speed Form Apollo is heavier than the old version.
What Are The Right Sports Shoes to Select for Rope Jumping?
The selection of jumping shoes requires a special attention. For jumping, not all sports shoes are suitable. Obviously, you will feel uncomfortable in ballet shoes or ski boots when jumping. They do not absorb blows very well and do not reduce the load on your legs while jumping.
Shoes must give a sufficient support to your feet. The side support of your sneakers should provide the stability on the sides of the feet when landing. If you use shoes with soft rubber soles, then they can slow down your movements. If you jump on shoes, shins are almost always tensed. Usually, at the end of each jump, you need to remove some tension in the muscles of your ankles, shins and Achilles tendons.
The right jumping shoes protect the pads of your toes if you jump on a too hard surface. They also protect the feet from rope hits. The pain in the ankle area can arise from jumping on a soft carpet or because of wearing shoes with soft rubber soles.
Jumping with Rope Barefoot
Somebody would prefer rope jumping at home barefoot. If you are rope jumping without shoes, shin shanks have the opportunity to relax. Podiatrists suggest that jumping shoeless allows your feet to develop and strengthen the accessory muscles which control the feet movements. Also, training more time without shoes makes joints and muscles stronger. When jumping over the rope, try not to hit your feet by the rope. It can be painful. All in all, rope jumping without sneakers is generally safe, provided your bones, joints, and muscles are in good conditions. Then, the prolonged use of shoes can significantly impact our feet. If we wear shoes for more than 5 hours a day, our feet will likely be weakened with time. It is to note that jumping is a shock load on leg joints (knees and ankles) and the spine, so it would be better to wear sports shoes with a soft and springy sole where the feet are securely fixed. Shoes will extinguish the shock and save the joints and ligaments of possible damages.
How to Purchase Best Jump Rope Shoes?
When buying sports shoes for rope jumping, you better pay attention to several points:
One of the most important functions of jumping shoes is to ensure good air exchange without obstructing normal sweating. It is for this purpose that manufacturing companies sew the top of sports shoes solely using “breathing” synthetic materials with a mesh structure. Inside, only natural fabrics are allowed. Do not buy sneakers with rubber inserts for interior decoration or you will suffer from calluses. The inner edge of quality sneakers should have a special blown roller that protects the ankle from rubbing. It is to note that the material, if it is not genuine leather, has properties to wear out and become stretched. Models of sneakers, made of genuine leather, do not wear out, and on the contrary, such models shrink a bit with time.
The price of quality shoes should be adequate. Good-quality sports shoes are made of high-quality materials, so they cost accordingly. Buying good and expensive training shoes, you should pay attention to the shock absorber, because this feature turns an ordinary pair of shoes into know-how and, of course, increases their price. The right choice would be shoes labeled Air, Gel, Grid, Wave, etc. These markings are applied to the place where the damper is located – in the toe cap or the heel part. Some shoes have a shock absorber on both sides, others – on only one.
Weight of sports shoes refers to two aspects. The first aspect is your weight. If you have an excessive weight, then you may need supporting shoes. Another aspect of the weight is the weight of the shoes. Anyway, good shoes for jumping should not be too massive or heavy. In general, for jumping rope, the lighter are the shoes, the better. The good news is that sports shoes tend to become lighter and lighter in weight with time because new materials are invented and used.
Under the visual inspection, the evident defects should not be observed. Glue stains, scratches, sloppy and uneven seams are inadmissible. Shoes for rope jumpings must have anatomical features and help avoiding problems. The developers are working to ensure that the sneakers withstand heavy and repeating loads. So, only quality models are as much as possible durable and will serve you for years, even with an active use.
Even if the upper part of the shoes is fabric, the back part must be stiff to prevent bending inward. The firm back is needed to fix your heel in the Achilles tendon area. Also, the back ensures the optimal position of the foot. The back of the jumping shoes should be hard enough and made of natural materials inside. The back shock system helps minimizing impact loads on the foot. But, with all the rigidity of the back, the upper edge of it must be soft and stitched by two lines.
- Toe Cap
The main feature of it is elasticity. It’s easy to check by pressing on your toes while you are in. The dents should appear, which disappear quickly then. The system of amortization must reduce the pressure on the foot when the weight is transferred from the toe to the heel. Another important feature is the sufficient space for your toes for moving and relaxing them. In any way, your toes must not be pressed inside.
They must be removable. It is unacceptable for the insole to be glued to the sole. At once, it is possible to consider the manufacturer of such sneakers as “unscrupulous”. It is very important to be able to pull out the dampened insole and dry it. If the insole is pulled out and everything is in order, pay attention to the next moment – under the insole, there should not be any carton, but only quality seams, which should also be noted). Cardboard in shoes leads to increased perspiration of the foot, and, in addition, it quickly collapses with the moisture.
- Sole Flexibility
A good sole allows bending in a certain place, one way only. This place is just in the area that bends if you stand on tiptoe. Bending in any wrong place is either a sign of a defective product or a fake. If you stand on tiptoe, your shoes should bend in the top third part. The shock absorbers must be also present on the flexible sole. Many manufacturers today are using new technologies, producing soles for sports shoes in the form of a grate for better flexibility. However, because of this, they are not strong enough, and the sole quickly wears out.
So, in the end, your choice of jumping shoes should be based on the information stated above, as well on your individual preferences, physical conditions, and abilities. The result of correct choice of training shoes will be not only a good looking appearance, but also your cheerful mood.